Monday, September 9, 2013

baseballthinkfactory.org: Argh!

baseballthinkfactory.org

What a pain in the ass.  I made the mistake of checking a traffic source for a recent post and now I'm wasting time dealing with inane comments at baseballthinkfactory.org.  Geez.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/matinale_juiced_players_bats_balls_parks

It dealt with my post:

Saturday, September 7, 2013
Juiced: players, bats, balls, parks.

The original quote at baseballthinkfactory.org was OK, although I didn't appreciate the inference that what I had written was somehow inferior to the comment made about it on my blog:

Radical Baseball
Stimulating, provocative, sometimes whimsical new concepts that challenge traditional baseball orthodoxy. Copyright Kenneth Matinale

Note the description.

One person actually wrote this:

Since that was written a new version of Yankee Stadium was built, which makes the short distance in right field even more of a joke than it had been. Before Yankee haters go wacky, remember: Ruth hit 32 of his 60 on the road and Maris hit 31 of his 61 on the road.

Of course the RF target that Maris had to aim at in the original Yankee Stadium was 296 down the line, had a 344 power alley, and had a wall so low that you could trip over it. It was brutal on RH pull hitters like Dimaggio, but the modern day LH pull hitters would scarcely have noticed any difference.
_________________________________________

The Italics is what I had written and he was quoting.

Wow.  How do you ignore something you had just quoted: "Maris hit 31 of his 61 on the road".  Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the version of Yankee Stadium from 1938 through its demise in the 1970s would know that the dimensions were 344 in straight away right, 407 in right center and 461 in center.

Center field today is about what right center was in 1961.  How could anyone say that "modern day LH pull hitters would scarcely have noticed any difference"?

I'll comment on only one other thing from baseballthinkfactory.org, since the writer making the snide, snotty remark questioning whether English is my native language is probably not familiar with my use of the term Major Baseball League (MBL).

Monday, June 11, 2012
Major Baseball League: a new phrase is coined.

Major League Baseball (MLB) should change its name to Major Baseball League (MBL).  Maybe I'll do it for them.  Ladies and Gentlemen, now introducing the already existing Major Baseball League with its American and National conferences!  Get used to it...

In case it is not obvious enough the intent of this name change is to drive home the point yet again that the old American and National Leagues merged into one league known as Major.
___________________________________

I'd rather that baseballthinkfactory.org not mention my stuff at all.  I don't want to waste time on another response.  If someone reads one of my posts and has an issue, post a comment here so that I can address it directly.  That might also force the person to read my entire post and respond in context and with a complete well thought out message, not some 14 year old boy twitteresk wise crack.

No comments: