George Michael Steinbrenner III must be turning over in his grave. Spinning! The late Yankee owner wanted his team to display class when pummeling opponents and we Yankee fans expect no less.
Rafael Soriano pulls his shirt out of his pants at the conclusion of a game in which he is the last pitcher as he did yet again yesterday after his latest John Wetland memorial death defying save. Soriano did this in 2011 and I immediately found it offensive, embarrassing, classless. You know, the usual snooty stuff Yankee haters would associate with Yankee fans, even though I'm just rooting for the home team (Yankees only 1958-1961) like most fans in other parts of the USA ... oh, and Toronto.
What the heck is this shirt pulling about? Did Soriano do this in Tampa when he saved 45 games in 2010? Thankfully, Soriano saved only two games in 2011 but he finished six others. That must have been eight times that he pulled his stunt, yet apparently he was not admonished. Maybe nobody wanted any trouble with a marginal pitcher who had no such opportunities in the five Yankee playoff games in 2011. After all, the Yankees had the immortal, indestructible Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer of all time, for all that's worth, which obviously is not very much as the Yankees have gotten along quite well without Rivera since his season ending injury May 3, 2012 before the Yankees lost 4-3 in Kansas City. Rivera's last appearance was a save on April 30 2012.
In 2012 Soriano has finished 21 Yankee games, saving 17. Are we Yankee fans to be subjected to this clown pulling his shirt of of his pants immediately after each Yankee win that he finishes? What does this act signify? Do other players on other teams do this? What am I missing? Or is Rafael Soriano simply a slob?
Rivera finished 892 games, including 608 saves, without ever doing anything less than classy. He was the coolest player on the field, exuding quiet confidence and humble superiority.
Why have no Yankees done anything about
Soriano's shirt pulling act?
- The four adult Steinbrenner children
- Yankee president Randy Levine (What is it he does now that the new Yankee Stadium has been built?)
- Yankee general manager Brian Cashman
- Yankee manager Joe Girardi
- Yankee captain Derek Jeter
- Yankee announcers like Micheal Kay who has an opinion on everything and no inhibition on imposing those opinions on the captive Yankee TV audience
- Mariano Rivera (It never occurred to Rivera to take Soriano aside and explain to him that a Yankee does not act that way?)
- the rest of the Yankee coaches and players, including pitching coach
This conduct is embarrassing. Soriano should be embarrassing the Mets, not the Yankees. Geez!
Rafael Soriano, act like a Yankee! Joe DiMaggio is watching.