Sunday, August 4, 2013

A game of chicken: Rodriguez v. Selig.

I'm guessing that the delay in announcing the long overdue results of its investigation into the Florida steroid clinic is not merely incompetence by Major Baseball League (MBL) officials.  I'm guessing it is a game of chicken between the leading antagonists:

- Allen Huber "Bud" Selig
- Alexander Emmanuel Rodriguez

People often wonder why negotiations between labor and management often go the last minute before an agreement is reached.  They think that it would be better if there was a settlement well before a deadline, real or imposed.  It's because each side wants to apply pressure to the other in order to get its way.  I think that is what is happening between Rodriguez and Selig.

Rodriguez is supposedly on his way to Chicago to join the Yankees who are heading there from San Diego.  Rodriguez expects to play Monday against the White Sox in his first game since October 2012.

What is Selig thinking right now?  Is he glad that he may be concluding his investigation?  Is he torn by his love of baseball and this turbulent and destructive task?  Is he afraid?  Is he intent on ruining Rodriguez?  Does he think that Rodriguez has ruined himself and caused his own downfall?

What is Rodriguez thinking?  How the heck did I get myself into this jam?  How can I get myself out?  I wish I had never done anything to warrant this?  I don't care what I did, I'm not going to let them push me around?  This is all blown way out of proportion?  I didn't take money to intentionally lose the World Series, right?

What is the head of the players association thinking?  Marvin Miller must be cursing me for being such a wimp?  Why am I so weak and ineffective?  Why aren't I fighting to protect the players accused with tainted evidence?

What are we fans thinking?  We're not.

Let the games begin!

No comments: