Friday, February 3, 2017

Chris Correa: techie criminal mastermind or doofus languishing in federal prison?

I just did three posts on Chris Correa. Correa was an employee of the St. Louis Cardinals, who illegally accessed Houston Astros data stored on private Astros computers, and is serving time four years in federal prison for his crimes. I figured that I had exhausted the subject. Then I scanned this pseudo techie analysis in of all places fangraphs.com:

Why the Astros Didn’t Catch Chris Correa
by Ryan Pollack - February 2, 2017


The author drones on blah, blah, blah. However, he does not even address the question I asked in my third Correa post:

How did Chris Correa know where to find the Astros database? Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Nor did any of the many "crime and punishment" comments that followed.

The entire focus is passwords. I have not read anything about two factor authentication, which in all likelihood would have prevented the intrusion by Correa. Or making the location of the secret system, you know, secret.

Maybe one more post is needed on another matter not addressed: non compete agreements.

No comments: