Sunday, July 13, 2014

50 homers in last ten years: bet you can't name the sluggers.

Today I asked three knowledgeable baseball fans to name some of the batters who hit at least 50 home runs in the last ten years, 2004-2013.  None could name more than a couple.  They couldn't get Jose Bautista even when I gave the clue: Joey Bats.

I don't think I could have named very many had I not just looked at the list of home run leaders.  What's surprising is that between the explosion by Bonds, McGwire and Sosa and the recent decrease in which the National Conference leaders were below 40 homers in 2013 and 2011 and the American in 2009 and 2008, is that 50 homers were reached SEVEN times since 2004.  All but one of those seven was a franchise record, plus some non-fifty homer leaders set team records since 2004.  See this post:

Season Home Run record by team progressive.  Saturday, December 14, 2013

Andruw Jones May 13, 2007 by User Chrisjnelson via Wikimedia Commons

No comments: