Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Price on Price.

On the Waterfront (1954) movie

An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses.

Steiger and Brando's conversation in an automobile fairly late in the film ("I couda been a contenda") is one of the most famous scenes in movie history ...

Terry: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson."

_______________________

Star pitchers Kershaw, Arrieta, Price sucking in the 2015 tournament. Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Price had a bad start, then a bad relief appearance.  Price is a free agent after the season and I had figured that there would be a bidding war between the Yankees and Red Sox to take Price away from Toronto but Price is costing himself money.

_______________________

Yesterday at 8 PM I recieved this email message from a friend: "How much money did you want to give Price again?"

My reply: "None of my own.  I don't know what happened."


What happened was that David Price was charged with another tournament loss and five runs, all earned, in 6.66 innings. I think my friend was being a bit rough; Price did not allow any runs in the first six innings but Kansas City came back from a 3-0 deficit.

The main point is that the price to sign free agent David Price has probably come down because of what Price has done so far and with his Toronto team on the verge of elimination Price may not get a chance to improve his standing.

Maybe that will make David Price a relative bargain in the off season.  David may have priced himself back into the market.

No comments: