Monday, August 22, 2016

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips proposes "my" idea to speed up games.

The fourth post on this blog:
Start at bats with the count 3-2 Thursday, April 24, 2008
Another great idea from slow pitch softball.
_____________________

Simple and to the point. It was repeated several times.

Today my friend Paul sent this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets-gm-steve-phillips-wild-idea-speed-games-article-1.2723421

Ken your idea  3-balls, 2-strikes has been stolen.
________________________

I replied:

Thanks for thinking of me. Actually, my idea is start the count at 3-2. I later made a concession and wrote that I would accept 2-1 in order to get things moving.

The commissioner is too busy counting profits to even be embarrassed that his speed up changes from spring 2015 never really went into affect and almost all batters step out on almost all pitches.
________________________

From the Daily News article with "my" idea:

Former Mets GM Steve Phillips' proposal of two strikes you're out could work as MLB rule change
by JOHN HARPER, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, July 23, 2016, 7:48 PM

... try an idea I heard from Steve Phillips, the former Mets’ GM and current MLB Radio Network host ...

Rather than four balls and three strikes, his format would have three balls for a walk and two strikes for a strikeout.


The idea sounds a bit too radical at first blush, but when you think about it, in today’s game it would be like starting every at-bat with a count of 1-1 on the batter. Would that really be such a bad thing?
________________________

No comments: