Monday, October 20, 2014

Baseball records, especially for Home Runs, still dominate, even over TD passes.

Last night Peyton Manning set an NFL record for career touchdown (TD) passes thrown, passing Brett Favre.  If you had asked me while I was watching the New York Giants lose to the Dallas Cowboys earlier in the day who held that record I could not have told you.  I'm guessing that even with that news available this morning if you did a quick survey of Americans and asked about the season and career records for TD passes and home runs, that answers about home runs would be much more accurate.

I'm a pretty good NFL fan but I cannot tell you who holds the season and/or career records for TD scored, points, rushing yards.  I know that Jimmy Brown held the season rushing record until O.J. Simpson ran for 2,000 yards still in a 14 game schedule but that Brown continued to hold the career rushing record.  I think Walter Payton broke it and that Emmitt Smith broke Payton's record but I don't know who else might have passed Brown.  Most TD?  Jerry Rice?

Home Run records dominate even over other baseball records.  RBI: I think that Hank Aaron holds the career record and Hack Wilson the season record: 191 up from 190 due to research.  But I don't know Aaron's number.  Runs scored?  Probably Aaron career.  Season?  Beats me.

But homers?  Still without looking:
Barry Bonds (762, I think)
Hank Aaron 755
Babe Ruth 714
Willie Mays 660
Alex Rodriguez (654, I think)
Ken Griffey ...

Jim Tome and Sammy Sosa are over 600, too.  Then:
Mark McGwire 583
Harmon Killebrew 573?
Frank Robinson nnn?
Rafeal Palmero nnn?
Manny Ramirz nnn?
Mike Schmidt 548
Reggie Jackson nnn?
Mickey Mantle 536
Jimmie Foxx 535

That's enough.  I could do the same for season home runs: be 80-90% accurate.  But I cannot do it for other baseball records much less those for football or basketball. I know that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a 1962 NBA game in Hershey, PA against the New York Knicks (Reggie Jackson claims to have attended) and that Chamberlain averaged 50 points and 50 minutes per game in that 1961-1962 season.  I'm pretty sure that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has the NBA career record for points scored, which Chamberlain held for many years.  That's about it on NBA records.

I believe this is why fans are so emotional about the use of performance enhancing drugs (PED) by baseball players but don't really care that much about their use by football and basketball players.  And in baseball the concern is almost exclusive to home runs.  By far my most viewed post:

Nolan Ryan: more on possible steroid use.  Tuesday, August 31, 2010

OK, some answers about records mentioned above:




Runs scored in a season after 1901:
Ruth 177 in 1921
Gehrig 167 in 1936
Gehrig 163 in 1931
Ruth 163 in 1928


RankPlayerPTS
1.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*38387
2.Karl Malone*36928
3.Michael Jordan*32292
4.Kobe Bryant31700
5.Wilt Chamberlain*31419
6.Shaquille O'Neal28596
7.Moses Malone*27409
8.Elvin Hayes*27313
9.Hakeem Olajuwon*26946
10.Dirk Nowitzki26786

No comments: