Sunday, May 13, 2018

Pink uniforms, bats, shoes, ... for Mother's Day, you know. PINK rhymes with stink.

I waited a couple of hours for the Yankee game to start after a rain delay. By then I had seen some of the other games and all the teams were wearing PINK. So when the Yankees emerged in Yankee Stadium with PINK caps, etc. it wasn't a total shock. I had even seen Yankee manager Aaron Boone interviewed wearing a PINK Yankee hat.

But the sight of Yankee catcher Gary Sanchez with a PINK chest protector and PINK shin guards was too much. As Yankee pitcher Luis Severino threw to the first couple of Oakland batters, also wearing PINK and wielding PINK bats, I had had enough. I turned off the game.

Instead I watched some of the NBA semi-final game between Boston and Cleveland. Neither basketball team wore PINK. I guess they hate women, especially their mothers. Or so we would have to believe.

In recent season I have written about this ever increasing trend, which includes teams wearing dessert camouflage uniforms to somehow honor the U.S. military. If only the league would have players wear their regular uniforms with some uniformity, instead of teammates varying the look, some with high socks, some with baggy pants, etc.

Like wearing number 42 for Jackie Robinson, what started as a few players wearing some subtle PINK like PINK wristbands has become a league mandated conformity. PINK rhymes with stink. As in unimaginative absurdity.

No comments: